Piercing Profile: Lip Piercing

Hello everyone! 


A few weeks ago I started a blog series called 'Piercing Profile' where I just talk about my experience when it comes to piercings!

As I stated in the last Piercing Profile, I am NO expert, I am NOT a qualified piercer and I have no training or experience in actually piercing people. However, I have got a few piercings and I would've found it comforting and helpful if I had some form of advise before getting piercings as I know it can be quite a scary experience.

Today, I am going to be talking about my lip piercing. There are many different kinds of lip piercings (snake bites, angel bites, medusa, monroe) I have a labret stud in the right side of my bottom lip, I've had it done for almost 2 years now and I can say it was one of my least painful piercings. Most of my piercings are cartilage and my lip didn't hurt anywhere near as bad as some of my other piercings. I know that pain is a factor that can turn many people off when they think about getting a piercing. Of course, some pain will be involved as a needle is going into your skin and piercing it however, the pain (which honestly is not that bad at all) will only last for a couple of seconds and it's never as bad as you think!


When getting it pierced some piercers will give you the option of if you want to get it pierced with a hoop or labret stud, this can determine the placement of the piercing so if you think you may want to change the stud into a hoop one day inform your piercer so they can choose the spot. I personally went for a stud as I had no intention of changing to a ring. My piercer did not numb my lip before piercing it as some side effects of freezing piercings include frost bite and longer healing time. A lot of piercers now days tend to not offer numbing however if you are really worried about pain, ask your piercer if they do offer numbing creams.

This piercing heals easy and all I did to clean it was use warm salt water and clean the outside and inside of the piercing. Lip piercings generally take about 4-6 weeks to heal, they are one of the fastest healing piercings. Some swelling is normal this is just your body getting use to the jewellery remember, your piercing isn't natural so your body is naturally going to try to reject the jewellery however this does not mean it will get infected.

Symptoms of infection include feeling of heat, oozing of puss. I personally had no infection and didn't experience any symptoms I did however develop a lump at the back which panicked me but it was nothing bad! I would say that if you feel like your piercing may be infected or you think there is something wrong and you have any worries or questions SEE YOUR PIERCER. They will not get mad or offended if you tell them you are worried about infection they are there to help you after all! To prevent infection I highly suggest going to a professional piercer do not pierce yourself or let anyone else pierce you unless they are a qualified piercer!

I hope this post helped you, if you have any questions leave them in the comments and I'll be happy to answer them!

Thanks for reading,

Becca x




Comments

INSTAGRAM @iamrebeccajayne