Becca in America Part Three: A (very overdue) Update, Atlanta and the Future
So, it's been a while since I've posted and I don't really have any excuse. I've decided I'm going to put it down to deadlines, a heavy workload and just generally being busy and having too much fun to actually take the time to write a post. I've been living in America for just over two months now and I still love every second of it! I find myself comparing life in the US to life in the UK and it's made me think hard about my future, what I actually want to do and where I actually want to be. Although I've only been there a few times, I'm starting to fall in love with Atlanta. It's a beautiful city and I can understand why it's becoming more and more popular, especially in the TV & film industry. It's pretty and exciting, what's not to love?
Since my last post a lot has happened, I've been busy with uni work and being a tourist! I’ve seen a professional basketball game (along with one of Kim Kardashian’s ex’s, shout out to The Atlanta Hawks & Kris Humphries), a college football game and a beauty pageant! One of the reasons I love going to other countries is to see different cultures and so I’m falling in love with the US lifestyle I’ve been experiencing. I fell like I’ve only just
arrived but I only have just over a month until the semester finishes, which is
crazy because I love it and I’m not ready to say goodbye! I’ve met some amazing
people and made some amazing memories, but I still have until the end of July
to experience new things and go to new places.
Like I said, time is going fast and it's made me realise that when I go back to England, I'll be in my final year of university. This time next year, I'll be almost ready to graduate and then it's time to leave education, find a job and enter 'the real world' which, in a way, terrifies me! I'm nearly twenty-one and although I (think) I know where I want to be and what I want to do, the realisation that I'm going to have to decide sooner rather than later is a little scary. It's strange to think that Uni is almost over when it feels like it's only just started. I know that three years really isn't that long but time is going so fast it's crazy! Living in a whole different country almost makes me forget that in a few months I'll be back at home and life will pretty much go back to how it was before I left, only probably a lot more stressful because of dissertations and whatever else third year wants to throw my way! Although I love being on this trip, there are some things I'm looking forward to doing in the summer.
In September, I'll finally be turning twenty-one and I'll be celebrating my birthday in Cuba! I can go back to drinking as much alcohol as I want and I'll be able to get back to things I miss like my family, friends, car (you get the point, the little things!). If I'm being completely honest, before I left home I thought that homesickness would be a massive issue for me. I think anyone who knows me (myself included) thought that I'd find being away from home too difficult and I'd spend my time out of classes looking online for the next flight home. But I'm shocked at how comfortable I feel away from home and how quick I settled in. It helps that the people around me are so nice (southern hospitality and all that). I've said it before but I've made some amazing friends and I know that come July, I'll be sad to board the plane back to London. True, when you move country, there is going to be a bit of a culture shock and sometimes in certain situations you just can't adapt. But here I've managed and like I always say, I LOVE it here and I think that I could stay a lot longer than what I'm actually here for!
They say that one way to cope with missing home is to try and find something that reminds you of home, a friend of mine took me to a city for lunch and we found a shop that specialises in everything British! British food, drinks and other bits and pieces that are almost impossible to find anywhere else other than the UK! It's the cutest little store ran but the nicest lady, we ended up having a conversation about leaving home for another country! Places like this are a life saver if you need something that reminds you of home!
I've recently found out that I'll be going to Chicago next month, which I'm so excited for! Chicago is a city that I've always wanted to go to, but thought I'd never actually get the chance to visit so to say that I'm excited to go is an understatement! As well as Chicago, it's spring break right now and I'm hoping to do some more sightseeing so I've got a lot of exciting stuff coming up, which I can't wait to blog about (I've had a month off, I need to get back into blogging regularly again).
So that's it, just an update about what I'm doing, how I'm doing and what's happening in my life! I'm going to end this post by showing a picture of how pretty the court in Philips Arena looked during the national anthem at the Atlanta Hawks v Houston Rockets game!
Thank you,
Becca x





nancy@mail.postmanllc.net
ReplyDelete