Real Talk: Ending Chapters & Moving On In Life
‘Real Talk’ blog posts are my favourite to write. I
like talking about topics and issues everyone deals with and thinks about. Not
only is it fun to discuss these topics and get my own personal opinion out
there, I also find it very relaxing and I kind of use my blog as an outlet to
get my thoughts down. It can make me feel so much better if I’m ever feeling
some type of way.
One thing that’s been on my mind recently is ending chapters
in life and moving on. Whether this is ending a relationship that’s really
already over, ditching toxic friendships, or even something simple like leaving
school, your workplace or uni. At some point in our lives, we all
have to say goodbye and close the door on a part of our lives.
"Who can't relate to the idea of leaving one chapter behind and moving on to the next?"
-Mike Shinoda
One thing I find strange is saying goodbye to
something I already know will eventually end. By this I mean experiences that we
all know are part of life, so moving out, finishing school, graduating, etc. We know
it will happen one day, but that still doesn’t make the process of leaving a
part of your life behind any easier. For me personally, the most recent example
was moving out of my house at university. Of course, I knew the day would come and I knew
when this was even before contracts were signed, but for me moving out of the
house meant so much more than just packing up my things and moving somewhere
else. It symbolised the end of an era, this was the last house I would live in
during uni, when September rolls around, I won’t be moving into another uni
home like I have done the past couple of years, because that part of my life is
now over. I still find it strange how quick these three years have
passed, and I think it hasn’t actually sunk in yet that life is going to be
completely different now.
"Every day is a new day, and you'll never be able to find happiness if you don't move on."
-Carrie Underwood
I’ve already mentioned on this blog before that so far, education
has been pretty much my entire life. I went from nursery, to school, to
college, to university. I’m not going to do a Masters, so for me, the education
chapter of my life is finished. Part of me is still getting used to
this idea, because realistically, it’s all I’ve known. I loved uni, I love the
people I met and I love the memories I’ve made and while the memories and my
friends will stay with me forever, actually being at uni is over and things
won’t quite be the same again.
I think one reason why people stay in situations where they
aren’t particularly happy is because the thought of leaving that situation and
ending that chapter is too scary or upsetting for them to think about, let alone
do. Whether this be staying in an unhappy relationship in hopes things will get
better as well as the fear of being alone, or not wanting to leave a job
because you’re worried you won't find anything else and you’ll miss the people
around you. Fear holds so many people back, myself included.
We’re all guilty of it, I personally used to
have a massive issue with letting things go, I’m a bit of a hoarder
and like to keep hold of things because I feel that letting go of things or
moving on means that I can never get that part of my life back. In some ways,
this is true, but unavoidable. A recent situation taught me that sometimes you have
to let go in order to move forward, otherwise you’ll be stuck in a crappy
situation. Despite the people closest to me advising me to
end this particular chapter of my life I wanted to cling on I hopes that things
would magically change, as you can imagine, this obviously didn’t happen! But,
moving on from said crappy situation allowed me to start a much more exciting and happier
chapter of my life so ultimately, ending a chapter of my life and moving on
with life proved to be one of the best things that could
happen in my life! Part of me still likes to hold on to things, but
I’ve grown to realise that you need to move on in life in order to
move forward, and just because your life changes doesn’t mean you can’t still
carry around the memories and lessons past experiences gave you.
-Alexander Graham Bell
What I’m trying to say is that we all
have times where we have to close certain chapters of our lives, sometimes we
embrace this with open arms, and others, we have to build up the courage to
brace ourselves for a change that we might not necessarily want. However,
moving on with life and changing is all part of growing up, it’s what happens
in life and as much as it can hurt sometimes, change needs to happen. As cringe as it sounds, it’s so true what they say, “when
one door closes, another door opens.” So with this being said, the next
time we are hit with the realisation that we need to leave a part of our lives
behind, let's welcome it with open arms to make room for a new, more exciting
chapter.
Until next time,
Becca x


Comments
Post a Comment