Travel Diaries- My Top Holiday Destination


Summer is approaching, which means it’s time to organise (or at least dream about) our travel plans! If you’ve been here before, you may know that I love to travel. I’ve recently put together a ‘travel wish list’, which you can see HERE. I thought that now I’ve mentioned places I want to go to, I should talk about places I actually have already been to! So, if you’re looking for some travel inspiration, whether it be a two week holiday, or a short city break, read on!

Jamaica




Honestly, out of all the places I've been to Jamaica is probably my favourite. I went to Negril in 2015, my Mum and I had been talking about visiting Jamaica for years, so after some research (basically, looking to see which part is said to have the nicest beaches) we booked it! Like I said, I stayed in Negril, which has a 7 mile beach, but the hotel we stayed at had a separate beach which many reviews say is ‘better’. I loved everything about Jamaica and I don’t have anything bad to say about my time there. For the past few years, my holidays have all been in the Caribbean, it’s my favourite place to go on holiday because there’s so much to do there and the beaches are incredible. The people in Jamaica were so friendly, and I personally think they had the best cocktails- which to me is obviously very important!






Things to do:
-Dunn’s river falls
-Swim with dolphins and sharks
-Horse-riding up the mountains and in the ocean
-Bob Marley house tour (which I didn’t get a chance to do)

Flight time (From the UK):
Between 9-10 hours

Where I stayed:



Mexico



I went here with my Mum and brother back in 2014 before I started uni, we loved it so much that we’re going again in August! Although they aren’t too far away from each other, Mexico has a completely different vibe to Jamaica! The beach at my hotel was lovely but in all honesty, I preferred the beach in Jamaica. Again, Mexico offers so much for people of all ages. Cancun is known as a top party destination, so it’s no surprise that there is a lot going on there. Most of the excursions I did in Mexico were in Cancun, however, I stayed in Rivera Maya (about half an hour away, it’s quieter and more laid back than Cancun so maybe take this into consideration if you’re looking to go to Mexico).


If you’re going to Mexico, I highly recommend the Captain Hook Pirate Dinner & Show. Here, you go on a cruise on a kind of party boat with a twist. It’s pirate themed and the cast put on an amazing pirate show, filled with acrobatics and sword fights. They also serve a steak and lobster dinner, and the drinks are all inclusive. A must do if you’re in Mexico! Mexico is also the best place I've swam with dolphins. I know some of you reading this will disagree with swimming with dolphins, but I promise that I do research before I swim with dolphins in whatever country I'm in before I book to go. As an animal lover, I would never support a facility that I believe mistreats animals in any way, shape, or form. The dolphins in Mexico have plenty of room and are in a beautiful environment and are well looked after by the staff. 

Side note- you may know that our summer time is tropical season in the Caribbean, which means you’re at risk of a lot of rain (and hurricanes but that’s scary to think about). I’ve been to the Caribbean a lot and I usually go in the tropical season. Yes, it did rain heavily some days, but only in short bursts and then the weather was beautiful again. It by no means has ruined any of my summer holidays to the Caribbean, but it is worth taking this into consideration!


Things to do:
Captain Hook Pirate dinner & Show
Swimming with dolphins & sea turtles
Swim in a cenote
Drink tequila- obviously!

Flight time (from the UK):
Around 9 1/ 2 hours

Where I stayed:


Rome, Italy





I’ve already written a whole blog post dedicated to my time in Rome, which you can find HERE. I wanted to go to Rome for a long time, and it didn’t disappoint! The buildings are stunning, the landmarks are picturesque and hold fascinating, historical tales. I loved my time in Rome and I want to go back there again one day. Everything from the hotel, to the landmarks to the food was incredible, I cannot fault my trip at all. 


Things to do:
Vatican City (specifically St. Peter’s Basilica)
The Colosseum
The Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps
Open bus city tours

Flight time (from the UK):
Around 2 ½ hours

Where I stayed:


Cuba 



My family and I were considering going to Cuba a few years ago, however, when it came to looking at holidays hardly any travel companies were flying there. I still have no idea why this happened, but years later I finally got to go Cuba, last year. The first thing I’ll say about Cuba, was that my hotel probably had the best beach I have ever seen! Granted, chances are if you’re in the Caribbean you’ll find a beautiful beach, but the beach in Cuba was out of this world. I loved Cuba, it had a nice atmosphere and there was a lot to do for all ages. It’s a great place for families and couples and there is something for everyone to enjoy.


Things to do:
Swim with dolphins
Tour Cuba in a vintage car

Flight time (from UK):
9-10 hours

Where I stayed:


So there you have it, just a few of my favourite holiday destinations. I would love to go into great detail about all the places I have been, but there’s no way I could fit everything I want to say in one blog post!

As I’ve said before, I love travelling and sharing my experiences on this blog. I hope reading this has given you some travel inspiration, all places mentioned in this post are fantastic and I’d highly recommend all of them.

Until next time,

Becca x

Comments

INSTAGRAM @iamrebeccajayne