In the City- An Evening In London & The Book of Mormon
Going to London and spending an evening
exploring and watching a show at the West End is by far one of my
favourite things to do. Last year, my best friend got me tickets to see
The Lion King on stage for my 21st birthday, it was an amazing
experience and as a thank you, I got her tickets so see The Book of Mormon for her
21st! We’ve decided that getting theatre tickets for our birthdays
is a new tradition! We’re already in talks about what our next
show is going to be!
Both of us had always wanted to see The Book of Mormon, although admittedly, up until very recently (as in, a few days before I booked the tickets) I didn’t really know what it was about, I had just heard rave reviews about it. I think it’s actually a bit of a running joke that not many people actually know the full story, before seeing the show! Everyone who I know who has seen it says it’s hilarious and it’s a must see. After months of waiting we finally made our way to London and watched the show, and I can honestly say I was not disappointed.
The first thing I’ll say about the show, is that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. By this I mean, if you’re religious, extremely PC or easily offended- this may not be the show for you. The show was created by the same people who are behind South Park, so you can imagine the type of humour used! At one point I was a huge South Park fan, so this made me want to see The Book of Mormon even more!
Both of us had always wanted to see The Book of Mormon, although admittedly, up until very recently (as in, a few days before I booked the tickets) I didn’t really know what it was about, I had just heard rave reviews about it. I think it’s actually a bit of a running joke that not many people actually know the full story, before seeing the show! Everyone who I know who has seen it says it’s hilarious and it’s a must see. After months of waiting we finally made our way to London and watched the show, and I can honestly say I was not disappointed.
The first thing I’ll say about the show, is that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. By this I mean, if you’re religious, extremely PC or easily offended- this may not be the show for you. The show was created by the same people who are behind South Park, so you can imagine the type of humour used! At one point I was a huge South Park fan, so this made me want to see The Book of Mormon even more!
Without giving too much away (spoilers
are the worst! Don’t worry, I’ll do my best to not ruin anything) the
show is about two Mormons, who are complete opposites, being sent to Uganda to complete
their mission and try and convert as many people as possible into Mormons. Upon arrival, they realise that they may have
their work cut out for them as the town they are living in are suffering from
many problems. I feel that I should mention that they do make
jokes about these situations (as I said, some people may find the humour
offensive). I don’t want to go into too
much detail about the show as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, but I will
say that there is one particular song that left both my best friend and I a tad
speechless, which is fairly hard to do! Both of us would say we have a dark sense of humour, we also
both admittedly swear like sailors! One song in the show uses ‘the c word’
multiple times and used words over and over again that those who are religious
may not appreciate- but then again, if you know The Book of Mormon, you'll probably know this before you see it!
I personally found the show and the cast incredible
and I would recommend it and see it again! The cast put on a brilliant performance and as I said, both of us had an amazing time! Just be prepared for some shocking
moments (the hell dream, for those of you who have seen it and know what I am
talking about!) and some jokes that some people may be offended by. I loved it, my best friend loved it and although I say it might not be for everyone,
I am yet to meet anyone who says they didn’t enjoy it!
Overall, it was an amazing way to celebrate my best friends
birthday and it was a day both of us will remember forever! As well as seeing The Book of Mormon we spent the day
causally gossiping and catching up on life and had dinner at TGI’s, I swear
that there’s a TGI’s near every theatre in the West End!
There’s something about London that I love. It’s
my favourite city and I love being there, although I am slightly biased as I was
born there. It’s an incredible city that has so much to offer and I’m
happy that I’ve had the opportunity to spend so much time there recently. And
spending time with the people who are closest to me, makes me feel better about
pretty much anything. If you read my last post (the first in my series Real Talk
which you can find here)
you’ll know that recently I’ve had a bit of a ‘meh’ time. I’m about to finish
my final year of uni so that as well as other things got on top of me for a
while, having time to forget about that and laugh at an amazing show made me
feel so
much better!
Overall, London is an amazing city and it’s very hard to get
bored there! If you’re thinking of seeing The Book of Mormon, do it-
I’m yet to hear a negative review!
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my recent trip!
Until next time,
Becca x





Comments
Post a Comment