University Life
Hello Everyone,
I am now finally all settled in at university! I’ve been here just over a month already and feel at home now so I thought I would write a post talking about something every new student looks forward to- settling in and of course, Freshers!
Before I got to uni I had three main concerns, one was would be that I wouldn’t make any friends, the second thing I was worried about was getting homesick and the third was that I wouldn’t like my course and university life in general.
Of course, going to uni is a big and scary step you’re (usually) moving out of the home you’ve grown up in and away from your family, very often for the first time! One thing that helped me calm my nerves was the Facebook group my university set up for people studying at my campus and another for people staying at my halls which encouraged everyone to chat before moving in which in my opinion made things a lot less awkward! The group enabled me to get to know a few faces of people who I’d be living and studying with before I had even moved in and started, which for someone who is shy like myself made the whole settling in process a lot easier and a lot less scary.
After what seemed a lifetime of dragging what was essentially the whole of my room out of my Mum’s car it was time to say goodbye which in all honesty, was something I had always been dreading long before I even applied for university! Saying bye was sad but I found a good way to keep my mind occupied was chatting to new flatmates and trying to get my room and kitchen space sorted. Before moving in I was panicking I wouldn’t make friends but by the end of the first night I forgot all about that and started the event which everyone can’t wait for- Freshers!
Freshers marks the start of your time at university and is basically one big party with a week (or in my universities case, a fortnight) of events for the new students to help them make friends, settle in and have fun! I’ll be honest, I was worried about freshers as I’m quite shy and find meeting new people a bit daunting especially when I’m meeting a huge crowd of strangers all at once but since the first day I’ve been loving it! From UV parties to traffic light parties to seafront raves in Brighton, Freshers has been so much fun but I managed to catch ‘freshers flu’ in the first week- not great when my university has a ‘Freshers Fortnight’! Usually well known DJ/’s/musicians will perform at a freshers event, for the last Freshers event my university had MK and Marvin from JLS perform at a nightclub. Freshers is a good way to meet new people and make friends, and of course it’s basically one big party!
As for the course I’ve been a Broadcast Journalism Student for just over a month now, although it’s not been long I’m already in love with my course as it’s exactly what I want to do and I’ve already learned so much in such a short space of time! I’ve already had the opportunity to interview people on the streets and create a vox pop for a radio news bulletin, something I didn’t think I’d get a chance to do in the first week! I’ll soon be having my first ‘news day’ where I have to create a five minute radio show.






Comments
Post a Comment