One Year Since Graduation: What I've Learned
Today marks a whole year since I graduated from university.
This seems crazy considering that I so clearly remember starting uni and thinking how far away graduation was. A lot can happen in a year (and it has) so I thought that I’d share a few things I’ve learned since graduating.
You may have to work for free for a while
I graduated with a 2:1 in Multimedia Broadcast Journalism at the University of Brighton and was very lucky because I was offered a full-time job as a presenter and showbiz journalist in the same week. I wouldn't have got this job if I didn't take on an internship first.
A lot of people hate the thought of working for free, especially when uni has left you short on cash. But the truth is in some industries you may have to work unpaid for a bit.
Experience is also a necessity for most jobs these days so I would highly recommend trying to find an internship or work experience.
My internship/now full-time job is amazing and starting an internship not only gave me valuable experience, but it taught me so much about the journalism industry. And since starting work (and even while I was still interning) I’ve attended so many amazing events: movie premieres, music events, award ceremonies etc. and interviewed celebrities like Margot Robbie, Ed Sheeran, James Corden, Daisy Ridley, Biffy Clyro and Andy Serkis (just to name a few). The skills I learned at uni and from my internship definitely helped me when covering these events, so I 100% agree that going to univeristy and taking on internships are worth it.
Uni doesn’t always prepare you for adult life
True, I feel like I did grow up during uni and had to do things for myself that my family always used to do for me, however, there are some things even education at the highest level can’t teach you! Uni didn’t teach me how to deal with tax, what to do in a life or death situation or how to do multiple other things but I do know how to Harvard reference so it’s all good!
In all seriousness, some things in life you'll never learn until you dive into the deep end. Yes university was amazing for encouraging me to stand on my own two feet and become more ‘adult’, but it won’t teach you absolutely everything you need to learn in life. So don’t expect to have all the worlds answers at the end of your course.
A year flies by
I honestly can’t believe how fast the past year has gone. It only seems like yesterday I was in first year enjoying Freshers week, so how it’s been a whole year since graduation baffles me. Make the most out of what university taught you and enjoy graduation, it’s the time to recognise what you’ve achieved over the past three or four years and there really is no better feeling than walking across the stage surrounded by your friends and family and getting that piece of paper you worked so hard for (and spent almost £30,000 on).
until next time,
Becca x





Comments
Post a Comment