The Real Side Of University

University is a unique time in a person’s life. You’re living away from home for probably the first time, you’re surrounded by strangers and you’re given what feels like free money before it’s rapidly taken out of your bank account for rent! 

As someone who has graduated uni and spent three years as a student, I thought I’d shed some light on the real side of uni and give you some home truths I discovered during my time at uni. Of course, everyone's experiences are different but this is just what I personally learnt along the way. 


 It’s not unusual to live off your overdraft



I was lucky that I managed to go throughout the whole of university without once getting into my overdraft. However, if you’re a student and find yourself spending money when your bank account is already in minus figures, fear not as you are 100% not alone. I knew so many people who lived off their overdraft because they had no other choice- even if they had part-time jobs. 

I’m not going to get political, but the truth is for most people the money that you get from your student loan simply isn’t enough to cover your rent and living expenses until the next student loan payment comes through. However, that being said it’s almost like an unwritten rule that when student loan does come through, you must go on a shopping trip and go on a big night out. It’s the student way of life, embrace it!

Netflix is a necessity

Oh Netflix, what would have I done without you during uni? I know when you’re a student having another monthly payment isn’t ideal, but to me (and many other students) Netflix is almost a necessity. 


Truth is, you will make amazing friends during uni, but it’s very likely that you will all spend most of the weekends hungover in bed until dinner time when you’ll all congregate in the kitchen and probably drink more! So, with all those hours in the day you have you could either be a good, productive student and study or do coursework, or you could spend your life watching endless episodes of the same TV show. 

Spoiler: I spent my first year of uni watching about 7 episodes of Pretty Little Liars a day and I still managed to get a 2:1 and got a full-time job in the industry my degree is in, in the same week I graduated! So, my advice to anyone going to uni- get Netflix!, but obviously still do your work- binge watching Prison Break isn’t going to get your degree for you (even though it's amazing and it's borderline impossible to only watch one episode!). 


You will find yourself in the smoker’s section of the club- even if you don’t smoke!



Everyone knows that when you go out, the best and deepest (and probably drunkest) conversations happen outside in the smoker’s section. So even if you aren’t a smoker, you’ll probably find yourself outside with your friend that does smoke, just to be part of the buzz outside the club. Also, clubs are usually busy and hot, so you’ll need breathing room at some point of the night, even if the ‘fresh’ air you’ll be in will be filled with second-hand smoke! 


 Drinking is a way to bond



When at uni, there is no better way to bond with your uni pals than to get drunk! Drinking games become a way of life! Top tip- if you want to find out what your friends are really like then play Cards Against Humanity- that game brings out people’s true sense of humour! 


Water & Heating will be sacrificed if need be! 



If bills are included in your rent then take advantage! Because once you live in an accommodation where you pay bills separately you will ration water and the heating like you would not believe! 

Bills can be expensive, so be prepared for shorter showers (that will probably be freezing) instead of luxurious bubble baths, and be prepared to wear extra layers so you don’t bump up the heating bill! I had to do this in my final year, in the coldest house I’ve ever lived in! Word of advice for when you’re looking for future accommodation- try to find a place where bills are included, you’ll miss it when it’s freezing and you’re still shivering even though your wearing fluffy pyjamas, a dressing gown and a blanket!


Alcohol may be used as currency! 


Often, if one of your lovely pals picks up something from the shop for you chances are you’ll ever pay them back with the money that you own them, or instead, you’ll buy them a drink. While money is important to students, alcohol is also always graciously accepted as a form of payment! 


Cheap alcohol is (kind of) your friend


It’s becoming pretty clear that alcohol is like water to students, and despite being a pretty much necessity you can’t buy just any alcohol! 

No, as someone that has limited funds, you will probably select your drink of choice by obeying the following rule- buy the cheapest drink with the highest percentage! I can’t tell you how many times I looked at the back of wine bottles to see which brand was the one that would get me drunk the quickest for the least amount of money. Imagine that cheap alcohol is your friend, but the type of friend you know you can't really trust, because of course, if you buy dirt cheap booze, chances are you’ll spend the whole of the next day being cooped up in bed with the hangover from hell and being constantly sick-which is where Netflix comes in extremely handy. 



Uni friends will become more like family


Uni friends are usually different to other kinds of friends as you’ll live with some of your friends you make while you’re a uni, so it’s fair to say that they will probably become almost like a second family. 

These people will see you at some of your lowest moments, when you’re homesick, when you’re in super drunk and are actually being sick, when you’re stressed because of uni work or being so skint you can’t afford to pay rent and bills. 

The people at uni will be with you through some of your lowest lows, but will also be there for some of the happiest and most important moments of your life. Even after you’ve all graduated you’ll still remember some of your first moments during fresher’s week. I look back on my first year of uni and find it so hard to believe everything is over now. I still remember so many moments of my first year. How my bedroom looked, conversations I had with the people on my floor, even drunkenly crying at 3 am in the morning in the kitchen to one of my flatmates because I was so sad that first year was coming to an end. 

Overall, I can hand on heart say that uni was probably the most life-changing and happiest three years of my life. And although I did face some challenges during university, I would love to rewind back three years and do it all again!P.S. please do not take my advice on drinking- drink responsibly and stay safe! While drinking can be fun it can also be dangerous and, if that isn’t enough to make you drink responsibly, then think of all the embarrassing moments you could face if you drink too much! No one wants to have to pay £5 entry for a club you’re literally only going to be in for 5 minutes so you can use the restroom to be sick (yes, that happened to me.) 

Until next time,


Becca x

Comments

INSTAGRAM @iamrebeccajayne