One Love Manchester Highlights
On the 22nd of May 2017, the city of Manchester
was hit with a heartbreaking tragedy. A terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande
concert resulted in 22 people, most of whom were children, being killed and
over 50 getting injured. This was a great tragedy for many; the victims, their
families, Ariana’s fans, Ariana Grande herself, and the rest of the world.
In a bid to raise money for the victims and their families
and unite the world through the love of music, Ariana Grande put on the One
Love Manchester benefit concert.
You may have noticed that last week, I didn’t upload a blog
post like I usually do every Sunday. This was because last Sunday, I was in
Manchester, to attend the One Love Manchester benefit concert. In case you didn’t
know, I’m an intern at a showbiz news company/ a showbiz journalist, and last
week, I had the amazing opportunity to not only attend, but also cover One Love
Manchester.
As someone who has just stopped being a student and who
has only just very recently submitted their last ever assignment, this was not
only a great concert to go to, but also and incredible proper first job
opportunity as a showbiz journalist.
The concert consisted of a very impressive and star studded
line up, made up of Marcus Mumford, Take That, Robbie Williams, Pharrell
Williams, Miley Cyrus, Niall Horan, Little Mix, Victoria Monet, Black Eyed
Peas, Imogen Heap, Mac Miller, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Coldplay, Liam
Gallagher and of course, Ariana Grande herself. Of course, I was very
excited to cover this gig as the line up was filled with artists who I
have been desperate to see for years!
It’s almost impossible to single out one particular artist
or moment as my favourite, as the whole night was amazing, however, there were
definitely a few moments that stood out in particular.
The first being the crowd joining in to sing Take That’s
‘Rule the World’. Over 50,000 people were in the audience at Old Trafford Cricket Ground that night, and not
all 50,000 were in the ground at that point, but nevertheless the performance
and the crowd’s reaction was incredible. That was the first point
of the night where you could see how united everyone was.
Miley Cyrus was one act in particular I was really
excited to see. I’ve loved Miley since her Hannah Montana days and I’ve loved every
single song she has recorded. We all know Miley can sing (if you want to
suggest otherwise, watch a video of her covering Dolly Parton’s ‘Jolene’) and her vocals on the night were out
of this world. Miley performed three times over the course of the night and
she was outstanding every time she stepped on stage. Now, I love
a good, inspiring speech and I thought she delivered a very moving one when she
spoke about how Ariana was such a good role model for her fans. The pair also
performed a duet together when they sang ‘Don’t Dream it’s Over’ by Crowded
House.
Another huge highlight was Ariana’s
performance with Black Eyed Peas. When they performed ‘Where is the Love?’ the
whole audience again came together, and it was in all honesty a very emotional
moment. The lyrics of the song, (which
everyone knows because it’s an absolute anthem) fitted the moment and all the
events that had previously happened in the city, perfectly.
Another performance that stood out was Ariana’s performance
with rapper and her boyfriend, Mac Miller. Ariana is known for having amazing
vocals and she didn’t disappoint, especially when she hit the high notes in
‘The Way’. Also, let’s be honest, it was so cute so see them perform
together! If you know me or have read my blog before, you’ll know that I’m really
soppy, so seeing them perform together was just one moment of the night
that made my heart melt!
Katy Perry’s performance was another highlight of the
night and I was so excited to see her live. She sang a poignant, acoustic
rendition of ‘Part of Me’ followed by her hit ‘Roar’ which is known for having
uplifting, inspiring lyrics. As well as sounding
amazing Katy also looked it, showing off her new haircut and wearing a long,
white coat that made her look like the absolute queen she is!
Now, as a twenty-something girl, it’s fair to
assume that I love Justin Bieber. Of course, that assumption is
correct! Now, Justin has been known for displaying a little bit of bad
behaviour recently and has recently been criticised for allegedly miming during
his live performances. This was my first time of seeing the Biebs live and I
was beyond impressed. Everything from his (very live) vocals, to his guitar
playing, to his speech and interaction with the crowd was amazing.
Now let's talk about the woman of the hour, (or three) the person who was the mastermind behind the whole night. The one, the only, Miss. Ariana Grande. Now, as a lover of pop music, I've always enjoyed Ariana's music. I think her songs are catchy and she has insane vocals. She put on phenomenal performances throughout the night, despite almost crying, which is completely understandable. Even while holding back tears, Ariana performed both on her own and with various other artists including Black Eyed Peas, Mac Miller, Miley Cyrus, Victoria Monet and Chris Martin. However the most emotional collaboration for me, was when she joined Parrs Wood High School Choir when they sang her hit 'My Everything'. For me, one of the highlights was when Ariana spoke about when she met Charlotte, who is the mother of Olivia Campbell, one of the victims who tragically died after the attack. She mentioned that she cried when she met the mother and decided to make some changes to her set list after Charlotte said that Olivia wouldn't have wanted Ariana to be upset, instead she would have wanted her to perform all of her hits. I was an Ariana Grande fan before but after seeing what she did for Manchester, I lover her even more. What she did was incredible and whether or not you enjoy her music, you cannot fault what she did.
At the end of the show, Ariana brought out all the artists
that had performed for a rendition of ‘One Last Time’ Since the attack, ‘One
Last Time’ has triumphed it’s way back into the charts. The most emotional
performance of the night for me was the final one, when Ariana sang ‘Over the
Rainbow’. The ground filled with multi-coloured lights and you could hear a pin
drop when Ariana sang. Ariana fought back tears as she sang the final line but
still managed to nail her performance.
The last thing I remember about the show was the crowd
leaving, I was in the press box, so had an incredible view of everything. And
as the crowd left the stadium, they broke out in song and sang along to ‘Don’t
Look Back in Anger’ once more. I think this sums up not only the whole night,
but Manchester as a whole after what happened. That night, they showed true
unity, bravery and love. Even Pharrell Williams said that he did not see any fear
from Manchester, despite the tragedy that happened there two weeks prior to the
concert.
Overall, the concert raised over £10 million for the We Love
Manchester Emergency Fund. It was an incredible night for an amazing cause. It
also joined the world together, through the love of music. You can donate to the fund by clicking HERE.
Covering this was an incredible opportunity and I’m still so
grateful that I had the chance to go to the concert as well as report it. If
you were there, or watched it on TV, you will understand just how phenomenal
the night was, and how it united people everywhere, in a time where the world
needed love and peace.
If you want to watch some of my coverage of the night for BANG Showbiz, be
sure to watch this video HERE.
Until next time,
Becca x
*obviously, I don’t own the rights to any of the music
featured in these videos, all credit goes to the artist and the people who own
copyright to the songs.




Comments
Post a Comment