"Why are girls so bitchy?" Is 'Girl Code' Dead?
For years women have claimed to always follow ‘Girl Code’. Basic rules of Girl Code include no going after your friends ex’s, always tell your friend if her eyebrows are not on point, always tell your friend if her outfit isn't cute etc. Girl Code is simply a way for women to stick together and not drag other girls down. So what happened to it?
Going back to my school days, I remember that if a boy called a girl ugly or was horrible to her in anyway possible it was almost guaranteed that an army of ‘her girls’ would hound him and say ‘a boy should never call a girl ugly’ and ‘boys aren’t allowed to be mean to girls’ and hate him for at least the rest of the week. True, boys and men should not call girls ugly but lets face it no girl should ever call another girl ugly either!
It’s a just a fact that not everyone is going to like each other and get along all of the time. People are bound to clash and have opinions on other people whether the opinion is good or bad. However, when your opinion is nasty and not needed is it really worth declaring it to the world when a) it could offend someone and potentially create issues for them and b) no one actually cares what you have to say anyway.
Ever since I can remember one of the easiest way to upset someone would be to insult them, regardless of their age, gender etc. So why do people think its acceptable to insult others and say nasty things about other people in general. And more importantly, why has it become almost acceptable for girls to talk about other girls behind their backs when in theory girls are meant to stick together?
If you actually paid attention in history you’ll remember that there was a time where women fought for other women and helped them to gain power. Now, I’m not going to sit her and tell you about the women’s rights movement as thats not the point of this post. I’m just simply stating that there was a time where girls helped each other out rather than dragged each other down.
Almost every single girl in the world has seen Mean Girls and would probably cast it as ‘OMG the best film EVER!’ theres a quote from the film that has always stuck with me ever since I’ve seen it.
This quote is so true. Many girls complain about how boys shouldn’t call girls this and boys shouldn’t call girls that and yes they shouldn’t, but the truth of the matter is no one should insult other people regardless of who they are. Lets not forget what happened to Regina George now!
If you go on Instagram you’ll see thousands of photos of a group of girls with their friends with hashtags such as #mygirls and #girlpower but whats ‘girl power’ if we take every opportunity we can to insult each other? Us girls have a reputation for carrying grudges and being ‘bitchy’ and the majority of us insist we are not. True, not every female in this world takes joy in insulting a girl they dislike or even one of their friends, but how can a girl that constantly slags off others expect do ditch the bitch label if all she does is be mean about other girls?
Personally, I hate the stereotype that every girl is secretly nasty and will talk about anyone, even their best friends, behind their backs. I’m not saying that I never get angry and moan about people but I’m also not saying that all girls are angels are never bitchy. People say that gossiping and bitchiness is just in a girls nature and yes, sometimes some girls (myself included) love getting together with their friends and gossip about everything however, there is a difference between gossip and spreading rumours. There is a difference between joking about someone, and insulting them. Theres a difference between having a little rant about someone and slagging them off. There is a difference between moaning about someone who has annoyed you to make you feel better and being horrible about them to get some joy out of it.
Theres a saying that came to mind when writing this post. “I love girls who compliment other girls. Too many girls thinks its a competition these days. Its nice to be nice.” I think in certain circumstances I think this could be true. At the end of the day, it is nice to be nice. Common questions boys like to ask girls are ‘Why are girls so bitchy?’ ‘Why do all girls hate each other?’ ‘Why do girls talk about other girls behind their backs?’. Sometimes it may come down to ‘I just don’t like her’ but in all honestly, I have no idea, and I think a lot of other girls aren’t sure what the reasons are either.
Yes, not everyone is going to like each other. Yes, if you dislike someone chances are the things you have to say about them won’t be nice. Yes, if one of ‘your girls’ has annoyed you, ranting about her for a short while can make you feel better (up until you start feeling guilty and feel like the worst friend ever). Yes, sometimes rant about your friend to someone to because you don't want to hurt your friends feelings. Yes, everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. And yes, not ‘all girls’ are two faced bitches. But for the ladies who like having a good bitch a bit too much, how would you feel if you found out ‘your girls’ or any other girl for that matter took every opportunity they could to talk about you and everything they hate about you behind your back?
This post is not ‘bitch shaming’. I’m not claiming to be some angel that has never insulted anyone or spoke about another girl behind her back. Its not saying that all girls are bitchy I’m just giving food for thought. I’m not saying that ‘Girl Power’ and ‘Girl Code’ is dead. Personally, I don't think it is and I certainly don't believe all girls are horrible. I know plenty of girls that are very nice and wouldn't dream of being bitchy for the sake of it. I’m just saying that wouldn’t it be better if girls focused on sticking together instead of dragging other girls down to make themselves feel better?








nancy@mail.postmanllc.net
ReplyDelete